Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Being Terribly Sensible and Terribly Practical

Image: BMW

Image: Toyota

In all things, whether it be furniture, clothes, makeup, where we live or the cars we drive we have a decision to make. We justify between being practical (and terribly sensible) versus getting what we REALLY want irrespective of the price - we simply just have to have it because it makes us feel good or perhaps displays a perceived status.

Do I buy a gorgeous obscenely expensive Italian chair because it's iconic, despite the fact it being terribly uncomfortable or do I buy from a furniture chain a chair for 1/100th of the price - it's comfortable, practical and looks ok too? I don't know about you but I end up doing the latter all the time and as always a month later I still want the iconic obscenely expensive Italian chair.

I'm having this exact dilemma with my car. A couple of months ago we ordered the terribly sensible fully optioned Toyota Kluger with seven seats (we have three kids and their friends to transport). Don't get me wrong it's a BEAUTIFUL car and I'm very lucky to be getting one.

HOWEVER... I have since fallen MADLY and DEEPLY in love with the BMW X1 (in a George Clooney kind of way). I've ALWAYS dreamed of one day owning a BMW and now with the X1 it's in my clutches... it's NOT fully optioned, it's smaller, it doesn't have seven seats (what do I care about transporting my kids friends, I mean really... as if it isn't hard enough with my own three!)... oh and, no doubt servicing and spare parts are expensive... bla bla

So.... no doubt I will love my Kluger but will spend the rest of the days fantasizing about George Clooney, oh I mean, my husband.


2 comments:

Glen said...

What about my 4-Runner? I am shattered...

Anonymous said...

Kim, you have a birthday weekend coming up. Why not rent the BMW, go for a drive (have a quick affair) & get it (him) out of your system.
Katie